Catch A Show Or Get Onstage With Arts And Theater
Art, theater and music abound in Mayville-Portland. Our communities are fortunate to be home to Mayville State University and all the cultural activity that comes with it. Plus, we’re just a short drive to both Fargo-Moorhead and Grand Forks and the cultural opportunities available there.
Grassroots Arts Council
The Grassroots Arts Council was formed in 2006 to promote the arts in Mayville-Portland and surrounding communities.
Mission of the Grassroots Arts Council: The Arts Council advocates for, coordinates, promotes, and encourages the arts to enrich the quality of life, economic development, and education in Mayville-Portland, and the surrounding communities. We do this through:
- Coordination: We coordinate artists, arts groups, and the community to work together.
- Promotion: We promote the rich, artistic uniqueness of the Mayville-Portland area to local, regional, state, and national audiences.
- Encouragement: We encourage appreciation and production of art through:
- Education: We encourage the arts-related education of students, audiences, and arts professionals.
- Access: We encourage all audiences and artists who wish to participate in the arts in any way, at any level.
- Advocacy: We partner with local, state, and federal education and governmental bodies for arts-related legislation.
Goals of the Grassroots Arts Council
- Strengthen the arts as one of the Mayville-Portland area’s key industries and civic resources.
- Engage all of the Mayville-Portland area in the arts.
- Make the Mayville-Portland area a preeminent arts destination.
For more information on the Grassroots Arts Council, contact – [email protected]
This series brings performers of the highest quality to the Mayville State University Campus. This collaboration between the university and community ensures world-class musical performances throughout the year. All performances are in the MSU Classroom Auditorium.
For more information call 701.788.4742.
Mayville State University Theater
The Mayville State University Drama Department is open to anyone interested in theater, from acting to set building and lighting. Performances are held in the Old Main on the 2nd floor of the Old Main Building. The Drama Department traditionally produces three shows each year, including one musical.
Contact Director Bob Sylskar at 701.788.4725 or Greta Paschke at 701.788.4747.
Northern Lights Art Gallery
The Northern Lights Art Gallery was organized in 1999 with the purpose of bringing artists to the rural communities of eastern North Dakota. The board of directors’ main focus is on promoting North Dakota and regional artists.